|InfoKwik News... 08-03-05
If you have trouble viewing this email please click here to view in your browser...
Writing Secrets You Must Know
BY RIX QUINN
Writing better is critical for students. But it’s even more important for business communicators.
Let’s face it… if you write succinctly, you can:
1. win promotions
2. lead people with your creative ideas, and
3. create instructions for your employees to follow
Therefore, here are five secrets about business communications you must know:
1. You must write simply We all want simple instructions that are easy to understand. Choose words that everybody knows, and offer analogies that are clear and precise.
2. Use action verbs Passive verbs like is, are, was, and were simply exist. Active verbs jump, run, explain, and covey information.
3. Learn from the best Read Mark Twain’s brilliant short stories. Study Ben Franklin’s short quotes and aphorisms. Lean about headlines and copywriting from researcher John Caples.
4. Compressed messages In the fast-paced 21st century, readers demand information in short, easy-to-absorb form.
It’s been said that the average adult attention span today is a mere eight seconds. Can you deliver the theme of your message in that short time?
5. A word about headlines Researchers say most of us look at headlines four times more often than we read anything else. Therefore, that headline or the heading on your paper should capture the reader’s interest immediately.
Bottom line: Learning to write clearly might be the most important skill you’ll ever acquire.
Rix Quinn's book Words That Stick offers simple ideas for both students and business writers.
If case you missed the last newsletter, you can find it here.
These are chock full of useful business and internet related information.
Please save these
for future use.
• InfoKwik Meta Search
• Local Search KC Web Guides
• InfoKwik Blog (full of marketing info)
• InfoKwik Kansas City News
|• Blue Springs, MO
• Excelsior Springs, MO
• Gladstone/NKC, MO
• Independence, MO
• Kearney, MO
• Lee's Summit, MO
• Lenexa, KS
• Olathe, KS
• Liberty, MO
• Lawson, MO
• Overland Park, KS
• Raytown, MO
• Riverside, MO
• Smithville, MO
• More KC Metro Towns
InfoKwik Clients Blog has added several new articles for you.
The new link is:
You no longer need a
I invite your feed-back and please let me know what you would like to see added. Email me
or call me at 816.415.0776.
I publish "KC-News.com" not only for informational purposes, but to help you with your business promotional needs. Please send me your articles about any newsworthy things that are happening in your business.
Mother Nature's Health Market article...
See it here for an example.
KC News is located here.
KC-News receives thousands of area visitors everyday seeking local information.